Baking soda is a chemical compound that appears as a fine powder. It releases bubbles of carbon dioxide when it interacts with an acid and a liquid. It’s most commonly used in baking, where it acts as a leavening agent. Baking soda is truly a miracle product, whether it is used for baking or not. The most amazing thing about baking soda is that it is very cheap, a 1 lb box is $1.40. You can do all these things for a very small cost. The following are 60 other uses for baking soda aside from making muffins.
1. Use it as underarm deodorant by applying it with a powder puff.
2. Mix half a teaspoon with peroxide paste and use it as toothpaste.
3. Use it as a face and body scrub.
4. Add a cup to bathwater to soften your skin.
5. Relieve skin itch from insect bites and pain from sunburn.
6. Remove strong odors from your hands by rubbing them with baking soda and water.
7. Put two tablespoons in your babys bathwater to help relieve diaper rash.
8. Apply it on rashes, insect bites, and poison ivy irritations.
9. Take a baking soda bath to relieve skin irritations.
10. Heartburn? Take a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with one-half glass of water.
11. Freshen your mouth by gargling half a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with water.
12. Relieve canker sore pain by using it as a mouthwash.
13. Use it to relieve bee stings.
14. Apply it on jellyfish sting to draw out the venom.
15. Unblock stuffy nose by adding a teaspoon of baking soda to your vaporizer.
16. Keep cut flowers fresh longer by adding a teaspoon to the water in the vase.
17. Put out small fires on rugs, upholstery, clothing, and wood.
18. Put an open container of baking soda in the fridge to absorb the odors.
19. Sprinkle it on your slippers, boots, shoes, and socks to eliminate foul odor.
20. Turn baking soda into modeling clay by combining it with one and 1/4 cups of water and one cup of cornstarch.
21. After feeding your baby, wipe his shirt with a moist cloth sprinkled with baking soda to remove the odor.
22. Wipe your windshield with it to repel rain.
23. Improve the smell of dishrags by soaking them in baking soda and water.
24. Suck it in with your vacuum cleaner to remove the odor.
25. Freshen the air by mixing baking soda with your favorite perfumed bath salts. Put the mixture in small sachet bags.
26. Sweep baking soda into sidewalk cracks to discourage weeds or kill crabgrass.
27. Put it under sinks and along basement windows to repel cockroaches and ants.
28. Scatter baking soda around flowerbeds to prevent rabbits from eating your veggies.
29. Sweeten your tomatoes by sprinkling baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants.
30. Sprinkle it onto your cats litter box to absorb the bad odor.
31. Sprinkle it on your pets comb or brush to deodorize their fur and skin.
32. Use it as a substitute for baking powder by mixing with it with cream of tartar or vinegar.
33. Wash fruits and vegetables with it.
34. Soak dried beans to a baking soda solution to make them more digestible.
35. Remove the distinctive taste of wild game by soaking it in a baking soda solution.
36. Remove the fishy smell from your fillets by soaking the raw fish in a baking soda solution for an hour inside the fridge.
37. Make fluffier omelets by adding half a teaspoon of baking soda for every three eggs used.
38. Reduce the acid content of your tomato-based recipes by sprinkling them with a pinch of baking soda.
39. Add a cup to the toilet, leave it for an hour, and then flush. It will clean the toilet and absorb the odor.
40. Use it to scrub sinks, showers, plastic and porcelain tubs
41. Clean your shower curtains by soaking them in baking soda and water.
42. Add a spoonful to your dishwasher to make scrubbing dishes easier.
43. Remove grease from pots and pans.
44. Dry clean carpets and upholstered furniture by sprinkling baking soda over the fabric and gently brushing it. Leave it for an hour or overnight, then vacuum.
45. Boost your laundry detergent cleaning power by sprinkling a handful on dirty clothes.
46. Combine it with water to make a paste for polishing stainless steel and chrome.
47. Remove scratches and crayon marks from vinyl floors and walls.
48. Clean your shoes with it.
49. Clean garbage cans with it.
50. Clean the fridge with it.
51. Soak hair brushes and combs in a baking soda solution.
52. Mix four tablespoons of baking soda with a quart of warm water, and use it to clean the inside part of an oven.
53. Use it to clean your retainers and dentures.
54. Mix it with water to get rid of stale odors from cooling containers, thermos bottles or drink containers.
55. Run your coffee maker with a baking soda solution, then rinse.
56. Combine with hot water to clean baby bottles.
57. Sprinkle it on barbecue grills, then rinse it off.
58. Remove burned-on food from a pan by soaking it in a baking soda solution for 10 minutes before washing.
59. Make a thick paste of baking soda and water, and used it to scrub enameled cast iron and stainless steel.
60. Keep your drains clean by putting four tablespoons of baking soda in them each week. Flush it down with hot water.